With today’s technology there is no surprise that there are some very amazing and advanced golf apps available for us to use just about anywhere we can get service on our phones. I have researched and found a few must-have golf apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch, Android phones, and the BlackBerry phone. Read on and be satisfied!
iPhone/iPod Touch Apps
The US Open Golf Championship is coming up pretty quick and nobody wants to miss it. A great way to not miss this event is by downloading the free app onto your iPhone or iPod Touch. This app is the official iPhone app for the 2011 US Open Golf Championship at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Maryland, June 13-19, 2011. This app features live video from the US Open Championship available for you to view like you would on your TV. Although this app is amazing, it is only available to view in the United States.
Here is the run-down of the features of the US Open Golf Championship App:
- Live video from the US Open Championship available (only viewable in the United States)
- Exclusive LIVE marquee group coverage and dedicated hole coverage
- On demand highlights available to you
- All video is viewable with Edge,¬† 3G, and Wifi connections
- Latest news updates
- LIVE real-time scoring updates including the Leaderboard and Tee Times
- Full course details
- Latest photos from the game
- You can stream live ESPN Radio coverage and submit questions to be answered on-air by ESPN commentators via Ask the Booth, presented by American Express
- Cost: FREE
Another great app for your iPhone or iPod touch is the Flick Golf! app. This is a fun little game you can play on your phone or iPod while you are bored and need a cheap golf game to play. At only 0.99 cents I believe this is a great game! The Flick Golf! app I am talking about is the new version, which is version 1.1.0. There has been many improvements and fixes to the game and a few new features were even added.
This is the list of all the new features, improvements and fixes:
- A game center has been added for iOS 4.1 and above
- 5 new courses (3 Quickshot, 2 World Tour)
- 15 new achievements
- New game mode: Quickshot Pro!
- Platinum Trophies
- Easier level unlocks
- Levels 1&2 are now unlocked by default
- The timer now pauses for score summary between shots
- The ball movement is smoother and the ball bounce is more consistent
- Collision around the hole is improved
- Significant frame-rate improvement
- Added successive hole-in-one counter during play
- Score card was added to the tutorial
- New level unlocked message added during play
- Facebook & Twitter launch buttons
- More various bug fixes and improvements
- Cost: $0.99
Normally Golf GPS Range Finders are extremely expensive. Did you ever think you would see the day when you could have a $1.99 Golf GPS app? Well today is your lucky day! I have found a great app, it is called SkyDroid – Golf GPS and is only $1.99. This app will help you lower your scores and it will give you the GPS distance to every green. SkyDroid also gives you distances to water hazards, bunkers, and more! You may not have as many cool tools as actual rangefinders have but either way this app is a must-have.
Features of the SkyDroid-Golf GPS:
- GPS Golf app that will help to lower your scores
- SkyDroid turns your cell phone into a Golf GPS Rangefinder
- GPS distance to every green
- Distances to water hazards, bunkers, etc
- Satellite view of every course
- Distance to ANY point on the map
- Shot tracking
- You are able to download unlimited course
- Map ANY course you like online
- Cost: $1.99
- Video: SkyDroid-Golf GPS
With the Golf GPS Range Finder app for BlackBerry phones you can ultimately spend no money on a rangefinder for the golf course. Yes, I did say it, this app is 100% free! The only thing you will need to pay for is the scorecard, which is an upgrade. From all of the reviews I have read the scorecard upgrade is well worth the cost! If you don’t want to pay for the scorecard you still get to experience a 14-day free trial to try out the scorecard and see if you want to pay your hard earned money for it.
I found a lot of information about this app. Some of it came from the reviews of the people who have used it first-hand and the rest came from Swing by Swing Golf, the makers of this app. So after combining all of the information I came up with, here is a list of all of the cool features that come with this free app:
- The scorecard feature is a 14-day free trial, after the 14 days are up you either have to go without the scorecard feature or upgrade and pay for the feature
- The Golf GPS Range Finder is totally free and is not just a trial version
- While using it you can take stroke of your game with smart golf information:¬†
- You can view a satellite photo of the hole you are playing
- Receive accurate distance information, it rivals any $300-500 rangefinder
- A simple touch to the screen can show you the distance from where you are at to any point on the hole
- You can map your own course or Swing by Swing Golf can do it for you toll free
- This app is free along with all of the playable courses in the system
- If you see a course that is not yet mapped you can do 1 of 2 things:
- You can use Swing by Swing’s website to map the course yourself, they say it is fun to do and only takes about 10 minutes if you know the layout of the course
- Swing by Swing’s professional mapping team will enter a course into the system for you
- This is an easy-to-use app – just a few taps are you are ready to play!
- It automatically advances from hole to hole
- You can play and entire round of golf and never futz with your phone
- It works on any course in the world, if the course you want isn’t on the map it can be mapped for you or you can map it yourself
- You will receive quick and reliable support from the app or from the Swing By Swing website
- Swing by Swing requires an email address and password to register to play. Your information is confidential and will never be sold or shared. It takes about 30 seconds to input your information and once your register you will have free access to the range finder application forever.
- Cost: FREE (Without the Scorecard upgrade)
- This app is also available for the iPhone and the Android
- Swing by Swing requires an email address and password to register for play. Your information is confidential and will never be sold or shared. It takes about 30 seconds to input your information and once you register with Swing by Swing you will have free access to the range finder application forever.
If you don’t want to risk your phone crashing or an app to not live up to your expectations you can always buy a reliable rangefinder from Discount Golf World. DGW has many different range finders for you to choose from. If you have any questions about DGW’s GPS Range Finders just ask your question(s) in our Q&A section on the product page!